Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Understanding Percentages

Percent is a part of a whole, usually out of one hundred. Percent literally means “per hundred”. A percent is basically another form of writing a fraction and decimal. Fractions, decimals and percents are all one big happy family.
Percent is expressed in a percent sign like so: %
To get the most of a percent statement, think of it in this way:
A% x b = c
Percent of whole part
Percent can be used to see what percentage of Winnipeg people like to listen to Hot 103 to your percentage on a test.
Percentage is part of a whole like so:


What percentages of families have a ping pong table in their house?
Step 1: Get the fraction

Many families have ping pong tables (part):
how many families (whole):


Step 2: Reduce or multiply the fraction, so that the denominator is 100

In this case you would multiply both top and bottom numbers by 20 because 5 goes into 100 twenty time and whatever you do to one of the numbers you have to do it to the other number.



Step 3: Convert the fraction into a decimal


0.40

Step 4: Multiply the decimal by 100
0.40 x 100 = 40 40 % or families own a ping pong

10 comments:

ardiasarao said...

great job on the post =) .. it explained everything good .. but just to tell you percent comes from the french word "cent" which means 100 .. but that all you left out from this post .. and i really like your phrase "Fractions, decimals and percents are all one big happy family" ahaha i think thats so true .. any ways .. good job =)

popel said...

hey silva it is popel.. good job on your post now that i am finally on the blogger cuz i had to blog so ur post makes alot of sence and i agree with ardia:D

LisaM said...

Hello well great job on your post I really liked it and I think that it relly explains alot about percentages.

Lisa=)

Tony D said...

great job on the post it taught me a bit about percentages that i didn't know

sjs said...

NICE PICTURES
GOOD JOB

angelic =) said...

great scribe post. I have just one little suggestion. When you used the picture of 2 tennis tables, I don't think it really showed 2/5. You could've put 5 groups of stick people, but only 2 of them have ping pong tables. You should also show your work more on step 3 showing how you get the decimal. Other than that, I LOVE your post =)

Ashley said...

I loved your post. It's really good. You explained everything really good about percent. I really like your post!

john- said...

GREAT POST!...I like the way you explain percents, and that fractions, decimals and percents are all one big happy family, and also great job on the examples you did..well great job!!

john- said...

GREAT POST!...I like the way you explain percents, and that fractions, decimals and percents are all one big happy family, and also great job on the examples you did..

Earl said...

This is a really good post. you did everything very good. the percent sigh (%) means 100. the 2 circles are the zeros and the line is 1.