
OK, gang. I NEED YOU TO START POSTING, so here's a small challenge for you. In the diagram are 3 chickens, each with a different mass. Can you tell me how much each one weighs? Describe your process - how did you come up with the answer?
To post a comment, just click on the "comment" hyperlink at the bottom of the post. You will be required to put your user name and password in (the one you used to set your account up when we did it together.)
5 comments:
The small chicken is 2.1 kilograms.
The medium chicken is 4.0 kilograms.
The large chicken is 6.6 kilograms.
The three together are 12.7 kilograms.
I got the answer by subtracting the first picture with the second (clockwise) the difference is the small chicken. The I sutracted the small chicken from the third picture and got the medium chicken. Then I subtracted the medium chicken from picture one to get the size of the large chiicken. Finally i added all the chickens together to get the answer.
The small chicken is 6.5kg
The medium chicken is 4.1kg
The large chicken is 2kg
In total the chickens weigh 12.6kg
To get the answer first I found the difference between the small chicken-medium chicken and the medium chicken-large chicken by subtracting the 1st picture(10.6)-2nd(8.5)=2.1 and the 2nd(8.5)-3rd(6.1)=2.4. With these facts I know that the small is 2.1 less than the medium and the large is 2.4 more than the medium. Next I divided 10.6/2=5.3, 8.1/2=4.05 and 6.1/2=3.05. Next I divided the difference of large-medium(2.4/2=1.2) and then added one half to the large and one to the medium to get 5.3+1.2=6.5, 5.3-1.2=4.1(10.6). Then do the smae thing for the 3rd picture and use the difference 2.1 (6.1/2=3.05, 2.1/2=1.05, 3.05+1.05=4, 3.05-1.05=2 and the total is 6.1) Now complete the 2nd picture with the data gained that the small chicken=2, the medium=4.1, and the large=6.5. The last picture can be determined by adding the chickens together.
Big chicken = 6.5 kg
Medium chicken = 4.1 kg
Small chicken = 2.0 kg
Equation:
X = big chicken
Y = medium chicken
Z = small chicken
X + Y = 10.6
X + Z = 8.5
Y + Z = 6.1
10.6 – 8.5 = the difference between Y and Z that is Y – Z = 2.1
We know that Y + Z = 6.1 therefore from these two equations Y = 4.1 and Z = 2
To find X is easy because all we have to do is 10.6 – Y or 8.5 – Z and they both = 6.5
X = 6.5
Y = 4.1
+ Z = 2
Total 12.6
Comments!!!! See how easy it is? I really enjoy reading what you have to say. Your explanations are awesome. Hey.....did I see ALGEBRA being used by someone???? Wow!
Post a Comment